You are here:   Hints  » Life in the UK

Driving license for the UK

More hints like this: Life in the UK

When you need to replace your driving license and how long you are allowed to legally drive a car in the UK?

We prepare our tips based on our experience with finding work in Manchester.

If you became a resident (you live and work in the UK), then you can use your driving license issued in one of the EC/EEA countries (Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland , Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom).

Car, motorcycle

Drivers with a license from the EC/EEA country can use this license until 70 years of age in the UK. At the age of 70 they must apply for a new driving license.

Truck, bus, minibus

Holders of these driving licenses can drive with an EC/EEA driving license until 45 years of age. Between 45 and 65 years, it is only 5 years since you become a resident in the UK. After 66 years of age, this time is only 12 months, then you need to replace your driving license for a British one.

How to apply for a replacement of my driving license for a British one?

Just complete the form D1 and send it to the address on the form along with one passport photo, a fee for the replacement and the old but valid driving license. The British driving license will be processed within three weeks from the receipt of the form. Until then, you can drive in the EC/EEA countries with a counterpart driving license, for which you have to apply to the transport office DVLA or via a form. 

Do you like us, support us:

More hints like this: Life in the UK.